Monday 22 February 2010

17

I am a gypsy cowgirl

Something very strange must have happened to my body when I was having babies because although I fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes, the tops are all too short. So I did a very quick recon yesterday using a too-short sweater and a too-long gypsy skirt. This is what they looked like in all their unflattering glory:


No, I don't have filthy handprints all over my body, they're on the mirror. Don't worry, I cleaned it. And then I cut the waistband off the skirt, and cut the sweater off under the bust:


Gathered the skirt to fit the top and sewed them together:


I'm channeling my inner- backstage technician, lurking about and changing sets.

There, that's better. Believe it or not, I have this same gypsy skirt in olive green. Is it worth doing again?

17 comments:

  1. looks good! None of my clothes fit properly after having my son- even with all the exercise- I have just changed shapes so mainly I wear pyjamas now. eek. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's extremely cute! I'd definitely vote for doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ace. Go Refashionista Amanda!! My tops are all too short post-kids too. I even resorted to buying some of those belly-band things that pregnant people wear under their clothes to cover their bump...I don't have a bump, I hasten to add but I am fed up of having a cold back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys :)

    @Nic: That's so funny, thought it was just me! I wear belly bands too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh-ha uh-ha. Absolutely! Let's see the one in olive green!

    ReplyDelete
  6. definitely worth refashioning the olive green skirt...that came out great! As for my post pregnancy body...I just don't have a waist anymore...gone...poof! i'm suddenly built like a pillar ...sad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute!! I particularly love it with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh well done. wait till you're my age and see what the menopause does to your poor bod...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab! looks brilliant, very stylish with the belt. wish i looked as good post children!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had a similar too short top problem...wonder what that's all about...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks very cute!

    And I think the too short top thing has to be all about boobies. Shape, size and location are permanently altered by babies, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always wished I could sew and be creative with clothes. I gave up a long time ago. You look great and the outfit is just right.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks good, go for it!

    And I agree with the comments by auntninn, it's all the boobies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So does anyone have any suggestions for when the children are grown up and the maiddleaged spread is settling in...??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha glad I'm not the only one. Its my only item of clothing that I have in a size 8 thanks to stretchiness for pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was going to say what auntninn did - it's boobies. They change, they get bigger then they deflate and it sucks all the life (and size) out of your tops.

    Deffo do the olive green skirt too, that recon looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete