Tuesday 1 October 2013

14

Double Woven and Double Knit Zippy Hoodies

KC reversible zippy hoodie horizontal

When I was getting ready for the Sew Fab sale I realised that I hadn't made reversible hoodies for the kids for several years and wanted to get some better pictures to showcase the versatility of the pattern.

KC reversible zippy hoodie vertical 2

It's kinda crazy but I'd never even made one with two knits before!  So for Maia's I used Frogfriends for one side and Lemon Dots for the other.  The only additional step you need to make to the construction is to add a strip of interfacing to the wrong side of the centre front pieces to make inserting the zipper easier.

Lemon dots zippy hoodie

This derpy photo is courtesy of Maia's endlessly itchy legs.  She scratches the bejesus out of them for reasons I can't fathom.

reversible zippy hoodie 2 big

Jamie's hoodie is two sides of quilting cotton, cassette tapes on one side and Androids on the other.  My woven stash of yore is ridiculous so it was good to make even the smallest dent in that.

KC reversible zippy hoodie vertical 1

I got quite a few emails yesterday asking about using fleece and also about how easy it is to omit the lining.  If you're curious about fleece, there's no better place to look than KID, MD's post yesterday with this glorious rainbow version. Her daughter designed the pocket appliques!

Kitschy Coo Reversible Zippy Hoodie

For the latter question about making the hoodie non-reversible by omitting the lining, check back later this week for a tutorial! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reversible zippy hoodie is part of the Sew Fab bundle in both sizes together for one week only.  As a designer, I get a portion of the sales made through my site so I really appreciate your support! You can get your hands on it here:





14 comments:

  1. What a great pattern! They look so clean and professional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhh man I can't get enough of Handsome Jamie *-*

    I freaking LOVE the lemon dots fabric!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both SO awesome!! I'm in love with the Frogs! I've been wondering about making them in double-sided knit, so thanks for that! I'd love to know where one can get the reversible zips from... I've searched and searched to no avail :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I get my reversible zippers from here: http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/haberdashery/single-slider-open-end-zips/65cm-reversible-slider-open-end-m but they're based in the UK. Katie has posted before about getting them in the States from here: http://www.stanssewingsupplies.com If anyone else wants to chime in with sources that'd be great!

      Delete
    2. Actually, Katie's last one used a zipper from http://www.zipperstop.com/.

      Delete
    3. You're a champ, Amanda! Thanks SO much for that!

      Delete
  4. I've made this unlined! I haven't gotten pictures up yet, but I can't wait to see how you've done it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this pattern so! And your beautiful, itchy children!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're both so awesome. I love the geek retro vibe of Jamie's. And I wish I had Maia's in a ladies size. I can only dream to be so awesome, although my legs are probably just as itchy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this pattern and I'm thinking of buying the bundle offer, can you tell me which sizes are included in the offer, is it the smaller set or larger set. Thanks so much, love both the new hoodies you made :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kakariki, just in case you didn't see my email (and for anyone else who wants to know!) it is *both* sizes that are included. So 18m all the way to 8 yr :)

      Delete
  8. These are sooo awesome. Your kiddos crack me up too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are both amazing - love the androids. I can't wait to get started on mine - it's such a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was sooo glad to see this pattern in the fab set! Actually its the reason i made the impulse decision to buy it haha i really love this pattern. I have the smaller size and needed the big kid. It comes together so quickly for me and i love the fit. I've made it sooooo many times and always get asked where i got it from (usually the dr seuss or buzz lightyear). Ive made a couple with fleece and plan to use cuddly minky soon. Thanks for an awesome pattern! Love these two versions by the way!!

    ReplyDelete